Portable fire extinguishers are CRUCIAL to have in the workplace. The National Fire Protection Association states that 93% of deaths and 95% of property damage caused by a fire takes place once that fire has progressed beyond the early stages. This is why it is critical to have a fire extinguisher within reach at all times. It is proven that within the initial few minutes that a fire has started, if a fire extinguisher is used it will put out the fire completely. The most effective time to use a fire extinguisher is when the fire is confined to a small area and when it has just begun.
In any case that you are experiencing a fire within the workplace make sure that:
- The fire department has been called
- Your entire staff is alerted of the fire
- Your staff/occupants of the building have begun an evacuation process
- The fire isn’t blocking your escape route
How to use a fire extinguisher:
- Pull the pin
- Aim the nozzle at the base of the fire
- Squeeze the operating lever to release the extinguishing agent
- Sweep the nozzle from side to side until the fire is out. The fire may re-ignite, so be aware of that and stay cautious.
Safety-N-Compliance Services, Inc. is ALWAYS here to help! Your safety is out NUMBER ONE goal. Call of email us at any time!